홈 > 번역의 도구 > 용어정의

용어정의

phusati – phusitvā - phuṭṭha - phassa

phusati phusitvā - phuṭṭha - phassa

Phusati(1) [spṛś, fr. which sparśa=phassa; cp. also phassati]

1. (lit.) to touchVism 463 (phusatī ti phasso) DA i.61 (aor. phusī=metri causa for phusi); Miln 157 (grd. aphusa not to be touched).

phusitvā: having touched; having reached; having attained. (abs. of phusati) kāyena phoṭṭhabbaṃ phusitvā

Phuṭṭha[pp. of phusati(1)] touched, affected by, influenced by; in specific sense (cp. phusati1 2) "thrilled, permeated" Vin i.200 (ābādhena); A ii.174 (rogena) J i.82 (mettacittena, v. l. puṭṭha); v.441 (dibbaphassena); Vism 31 (˚samphassa contact by touch), 49 (byādhinā); VvA 6 (in both meanings, scil. pītiyā rogena). On phuṭṭha at D ;i.57 see phuṭa3. Cp. sam˚.

2. (fig.) [see on this term of Buddhist ecstatic phraseology Cpd. 1332. In this meaning it is very closely related to pharati, as appears e. g. from the foll. explns of Cys.: D i.74 parippharati=samantato phusati DA i.217; D ii.186 pharitvā=phusitvā ārammaṇaŋ katvā Vism 308] to attain, to reach,only in specific sense of attaining to the highest ideal of religious aspiration, in foll. phrases ceto -- samādhiŋph. D i.13=iii.30, 108 etc.; nirodhaŋ D i.184; samatha -- samādhiŋ Vv 169 (reads āphusiŋ but should prob. be aphusiŋ as VvA 84, expld by adhigacchiŋ); phalaŋ aphussayi (aor. med.) Pv iv.188; cp PvA 243; amataŋ padaŋ Pv iv.348; amataŋ Miln 338 (but T. reads khippaŋ phasseti a.); in bad sense kappaṭṭhitikaŋ kammaŋ Miln 108 (of Devadatta). -- pp phuṭṭha. Cp. upa˚.

Phassa(1) [cp. Ved. sparśa, of spṛś: see phusati] contact, touch (as sense or sense -- impression, for which usually phoṭṭhabbaŋ).

It is the fundamental fact in a senseimpression and consists of a combination of the sense the object, and perception, as expld at M i.111: tiṇṇaŋ (i. e. cakkhu, rūpā, cakkhu -- viññāṇa) sangati phassoand gives rise to feeling: phassa -- paccayā vedanā. (See paṭicca -- samuppāda & for expl;n Vism 567; VbhA 178 sq.). -- Cp. D i.42 sq.; iii.228, 272, 276; Vism 463 (phusatī ti phasso); Sn 737, 778 (as fundamental of attachment, cp. SnA 517); J v.441 (rājā dibba -- phassena puṭṭho touched by the divine touch, i. e. fascinated by her beauty; puṭṭho=phutto); VbhA 177 sq. (in detail) 193, 265; PvA 86 (dup˚ of bad touch, bad to the touch i. e. rough, unpleasant); poet. for trouble Th 1, 783 See on phassa: Dhs. trsl. 5 & introd. (lv.) lxiii.; Cpd. 12, 14, 94.

-- āyatanaorgan of contact (6, referring to the several senses) PvA 52. -- āhāra "touch -- food," acquisition by touch, nutriment of contact, one of the 3 āhāras, viz phass˚, mano -- sañcetanā˚ (n. of representative cogitation) and viññāṇ˚ (of intellection) Dhs 71 -- 73; one of the 4 kinds of āhāra, or "food," with ref. to the 3 vedanās Vism 341. -- kāyā (6) groups of touch or contact vîz. cakkhu -- samphasso, sota˚, ghāna˚, kāya˚ mano˚ D iii.243. -- sampanna endowed with (lovely touch, soft, beautiful to feel J v.441 (cp. phassita).

Phassa(2) (adj.) [grd. fr. phusati, corresp. to Sk. spṛśya] to be felt, esp. as a pleasing sensation; pleasant, beautiful J iv.450 (gandhehi ph.).

Phusati(2) this is a specific Pali form and represents two Sk. roots, which are closely related to each other and go back to the foll. 2 Idg. roots:

1. Idg. *sp(h)ṛj, burst out, burst (forth), spring, sprinkle, as in Sk. sphūrjati burst forth, parjanya rain cloud; Gr. sfarage/w; Ags spearca=E. spark, E. spring, sprinkle. This is an enlargement of sphur (cp. pharati, phuṭṭha, phuta). <->

2. Idg. *spṛk to sprinkle, speckle, as in Sk. pruṣ, pṛśni speckled, pṛṣan, pṛṣatī spotted antelope, pṛṣata raindrop; Gr. perkno/s of dark (lit. spotted) colour; Lat spargere=Ger. sprengen. To this root belong P pasata, phoseti, paripphosaka, phussa, phusita. -- Inf phusituŋ, conjectured reading at Vin i.205 for T phosituŋ (vv. ll. posituŋ & dhovituŋ), & Vin ;ii.151 for T. posituŋ; Vin. Texts iii.169 translate "bespatter."

Phussa(3) (adj. -- n.) [grd. formation fr. phusati2 2; scarcely fr. Sk. puṣya (to puṣ nourish, cp. poseti), but meaning rather "speckled" in all senses. The Sk. puṣyaratha is Sanskritisation of P. phussa˚]

1. speckled gaily -- coloured, ˚kokila the spotted cuckoo [Kern Toev. s. v. phussa however takes it as "male -- cuckoo, Sk. puŋs -- kokila] J v.419, 423; VvA 57. -- As phussaka at A i.188 (so read for pussaka).

2. in sense of "clear, excellent, exquisite" (or it is puṣya in sense of "substance, essence" of anything, as Geiger, P. Gr. § 40 1a?) in ˚ratha [cp. Sk, puṣpa˚, but prob. to be read puṣya˚?] a wonderful state carriage running of its own accord J ii.39; iii.238; iv.34; v.248; vi.39 sq.) v. l pussa˚); PvA 74. -- rāga [cp. Sk. puṣpa -- rāga] topaz Miln 118; VvA 111. -- At Nd1 90 as v. l. to be preferred to pussa˚; in ˚tila, ˚tela, ˚dantakaṭṭha, etc with ref. to their use by Brahmins.

Comments